Sugar Cookies With Royal Icing
Make and decorate these tasty sugar cookies for any occasion. Get your kids involved for a fun family activity!
Ingredient List – Cookies:
- Butter, softened – 1 cup (8 oz)
- Sugar, granulated – 1 cup (8 oz)
- Vanilla – 1 tsp.
- Egg, large – 1
- Baking Powder – 2 tsp.
- AP Flour, sifted – 3 cups
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cream butter in mixer with sugar. Add vanilla and egg.
- Combine baking powder and flour, add one cup at a time to dough. (Dough will become very stiff…is needed add water a tsp. at a time.)
- Do not chill dough. Divide into two balls.
- On floured surface, roll each ball to 1/8” thickness
- Dip cutters into flour and cut out cookies.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet on top rack of oven for 6-7 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Let cool completely before icing.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Ingredient List – Icing:
- Meringue powder – 5 Tbls.
- Sugar, powdered – 1 lb. (16 oz)
- Water – 1/2 cup
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine sugar and meringue powder. Mixing on low speed, add a scant 1/2 cup water. (For a thinner consistency, usually used for flooding, add more water. A thicker consistency is generally used for outlining and adding details.)
- Mix until icing holds a ribbon-like trail on the surface of the mixture for 5 seconds when you raise the paddle.
- Use a flat knife to flood the surface of the cookies, and then top with sprinkles. Alternatively, make the icing thicker and apply with a piping bag and tip.