Creamy Roasted Mushroom Soup
A great fall recipe. The perfect cure for a cool day. Winning Recipe from the 2012 Wild Mushroom Cook-Off.
Yield: 8-10 Servings
- Assorted mushrooms, cleaned — 1-1/2 lbs.
- Olive oil — 6 Tbls.
- Kosher salt — to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper — to taste
- Stock, chicken or vegtable — 5-6 cups
- Butter — 1-1/2 Tbls.
- Onion, small dice — 1
- Garlic, minced — 3 cloves
- Madeira — 1/4 cup
- Flour — 3 Tbls.
- Heavy Cream — 1 cup
- Fresh thyme, minced — 1 tsp.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line 2 baking sheets with foil or parchment.
- Toss mushrooms with 3 Tbls. oil and some salt and pepper. Divide among the baking sheets. Bake 20-30 minutes, until tender and slightly browned. Cool 10 minutes.
- Puree half of the mushrooms with 1 cup of broth in blender or food processor until smooth. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add Maderia and simmer until almost all of the liquid is evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Add flour; stir 2 minutes. Add broth, cream, thyme, cooked and pureed mushrooms. Simmer over medium heat until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Season and add broth if needed to thin.