Makes: 12 servings
- Thick-cut bacon, diced — 6 slices
- Smoked sausage, diced — 1 pound
- Onion, thinly sliced — 1 large
- Garlic, chopped — 1 Tbls.
- Carrot, grated — 1 large
- Fennel seeds, crushed — 1/2 tsp.
- Caraway seeds, crushed — 1/2 tsp.
- Hungarian paprika — 1 tsp.
- Tomato paste — 1 Tbls.
- Beer — 12 oz.
- Beef stock — 2 qts.
- Sauerkraut, drained — 32 oz.
- Baking potato, peeled and diced — 1 large
- Sour cream (optional)
- Place bacon in a large soup pot and saute until crisp.
- Add sausage and saute until lightly brown.
- Add onions to pan and saute until limp and transparent.
- Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add grated carrots, fennel and caraway seeds, paprika, tomato paste and beer, scraping bottom of pan to release fond.
- Add sauerkraut and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium for 1 hour.
- Add potatoes and simmer until tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with sour cream if desired.