Hearty Tuscan Soup with Sausage and Kale
A hearty soup to warm you up on a chilly fall day.
Yield: 8 Servings
- Cannellini beans, dried — 1 lb.
- Extra virgin olive oil — 1 tbls. +
- Sweet Italian Sausage, casings removed — 1-1/2 lbs.
- Onion, medium dice — 1-1/2 cups
- Celery, medium dice — 3/4 cups
- Carrots, medium dice — 1 cup
- Garlic, peeled and crushed — 8 cloves
- Chicken Stock — 2 qts.
- Bay Leaves — 2
- Kale, Cabbage or Chard, 1″ pieces — 8 cups
- Tomatoes, canned, diced, drained — 1-14.5 oz. can
- Rosemary, fresh — 1 sprig
- Salt and Pepper — To taste
- Dissolve 3 tablespoons salt in 4 quarts cold water in large bowl or container. Add beans and soak at room temperature for at least 8 hours and up to 24 hours. Drain and rinse well.
- Heat oil and sausage in large Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook, breaking meat into small pieces with wooden spoon until it loses its raw color, about 8 minutes. Transfer sausage to paper towel-lined plate and place in refrigerator.
- To pot add onion, celery, and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened and lightly browned, 10 to 16 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in stock, bay leaves, and soaked beans. Increase heat to high and bring to simmer. Cover pot, reduce heat, and cook until beans are almost ready (very center of beans will still be firm), 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Stir in greens, sausage, and tomatoes. Continue to cook until beans and greens are fully tender, 30 to 40 minutes longer.
- Remove pot from heat and submerge rosemary sprig in soup. Cover and let stand 15 minutes. Discard bay leaves and rosemary sprig and season with salt and pepper to taste. If desired, use back of spoon to press some beans against side of pot to thicken stew. Serve over toasted bread, if desired, and drizzle with olive oil.