Yield: 1/2 gallon
- Steamer clams — 4 dozen (about 2 cups clam meat)
- Water, clam juice or fish stock — 1 qt.
- Sat pork, bacon, or pancetta (minced) — 2 oz.
- Onions, small dice — 1/2 cup
- Celery, small dice — 1/2 cup
- Flour — 1/4 cup
- Red or Yukon gold potatoes, medium dice — 1/2 lb.
- Thyme, dried — 1/2 tsp.
- Heavy cream, scalded — 2 cups
- Salt, pepper, Tabasco, Worcestershire — To taste
- Discard any cracked or open clams. Scrub well.
- Steam clams in a large pot with the water or stock, covered, until they open.
- Strain the liquid through a coffee filter or cheesecloth and reserve. Add more water, clam juice or stock to make 1 quart of liquid. Set aside.
- Pick the clams, chop and reserve the meat.
- In a large pot render the salt pork. Add the onion and celery. Cook on medium heat until they are translucent, about 6-7 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook about 5 minutes, stirring, to make a blonde roux.
- Gradually add the reserved liquid and incorporate completely, working out any lumps.
- When it reaches a boil add the potatoes and thyme. Simmer until potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes, skimmer if necessary.
- To serve add clams and hot cream. Simmer 1-2 more minutes. Adjust seasoning.