Each year beginning in the spring and ending in the fall, the Lincoln City Visitor and Convention Bureau sponsors a series of free clam digging and crabbing clinics. Everyone is welcome and no registration is required. We thank the Driftwood Library and the City of Lincoln City for giving us the opportunity to share the wonderful bounty that Siletz Bay has to offer.
2014 Clamming Clinics
Clam digging clinics begin with a brief lecture at the Driftwood Public Library located at 801 SW Hwy 101 in Lincoln City. The lecture covers Oregon’s clam digging regulations, clam identification, harvest methods, as well as cleaning and cooking methods. Lectures last approximately 45 minutes before adjourning to dig clams.
Following the clam digging lecture, participants will meet at the gravel pullout just north of the Bay House Restaurant located on the west side of Hwy 101. To get there, travel south on Hwy 101 in Lincoln City through the traffic signal at SW 51st St in the Historic Taft District. Cross over Schooner Creek and go past the asphalt paved Schooner Creek wayside parking area. Park at the next gravel pullout just south of the Schooner Creek wayside.
Each clam digger 14 years of age or over will need:
- Shellfish license
- Pair of gloves to protect your fingers
- Clam bag
- 5 gallon bucket
NOTE: Shovels and clam bags will be available for purchase on site the day of the clinic. Payment must be made by cash or check only. We suggest bringing some bottled water for hydration, a hand towel and a first aid kit containing bandages and hydrogen peroxide to treat and dress any cuts.
- Friday, April 18, 2014 @ 10:15am
- Friday, May 9, 2014 @ 2:15pm
- Friday, June 6, 2014 @ 12:30pm
- Friday, June 20, 2014 @ 12:30pm
- Friday, August 1, 2014 @ 10:15am
- Wednesday, August 6, 2014 @ 2:00pm
- Friday, August 15, 2014 @ 10:15am
- Wednesday, August 20, 2014 @ 3:00pm
- Friday, September 19, 2014 @ 3:30pm
2014 Crabbing Clinics
Prior to crabbing, participants will meet at the pavilion located at the end of SW 51st St in the Historic Taft District of Lincoln City for a brief orientation. The orientation will familiarize participants with Oregon’s crabbing regulations, harvest methods, identification, and cleaning and cooking techniques. Parking is available between Mo’s Restaurant and the pavilion.
Each crabber 14 years of age or over will need:
- Shellfish license
- Crab traps
- Crab measure
- 5 gallon bucket
- Large package of chicken legs for bait
- Pair of rubber gloves to protect your fingers
Each crabber is allowed to crab with up to 3 devices. Crab pots, crab rings and the small triangular crab traps are inefficient for use while crabbing from shore. Crabs snares used with fishing poles work well but not nearly as well as folding crab traps.
NOTE: Crab Max folding crab traps with hand lines will be available for purchase on site the day of the clinic. Payment must be made by cash or check only. If you plan to buy equipment at the clinic please arrive 30 minutes early.
- Wednesday, April 16, 2014 @ 9:00am
- Friday, May 16, 2014 @ 9:00am
- Friday, June 13, 2014 @ 8:00am
- Wednesday, July 16, 2014 @ 10:30am
- Friday, September 12, 2014 @ 8:45am
Cooking Your Catch
After you’ve caught your limit, you’ll need to decide on how to best cook it up! Our Culinary Center has a few ideas for you. Visit the recipes page for some great dishes!
For More Information:
VCB 800-452-2151 or Bill Lackner 541-265-5847
Where to buy a license:
• Bi-Mart — 1030 SE OAR Ave. For more info call 541-994-6284.
• Eleanor’s Undertow – 869 SW 51st St. Open at 11am, Thursday-Monday. For more info call 541-996-3800.
• Kenny’s IGA (South) — 4845 SW Hwy 101. For more info call 541-996-2301.
• Siletz Moorage — 82 Siletz Hwy. 7:30am-6pm Monday-Sunday. For more info call 541-996-3671 or visit their website.